I started noticing lately that I've just felt tired. Those of you that know me well, know that I'm a people pleaser...I don't know how to say no (I'm learning though). If I'm being honest, I started feeling like I was taking care of everyone else, but who was taking care of me? Oh pitiful me...I know haha. I feel like on average, I'm a pretty upbeat, positive person, and could slowly feel myself getting away from that and just dragging through the day. The truth is, I have a great husband who does a ton for me, and I have God taking care of me every day...I just haven't been doing my part to take care of myself...because that's selfish right?? NO! It isn't selfish at all. How am I supposed to take care of other people (which I LOVE to do) if I'm not even spending just a small portion of my day taking care of me. It's kind of like the whole oxygen mask on the plane concept...put yours on first, then help the person next to you. Easier said than done! But I'm doing it now, and am so happy to have other women around me that want to join in and do the same for themselves. I can only imagine the craziness of some of y'alls houses that have cute kiddos running around. It is beautiful chaos at it's finest I'm sure! I know that compared to you guys, I don't even know the definition of busy. I'm hoping this group can help all of us out.
So...my story of where I'm at and where I want to be.
Spiritually, I always want to improve and grow closer to God. There again, the hectic schedule I have has become an excuse. "Well, I have small group tonight, so if I skip my quiet time this morning it's okay, because I'll still be in the Word today" or "I just need those 30 more minutes of sleep or I'm not going to make it through the work day...I'll read tonight....after this episode...after my bubble bath...ZzZzZz...oops". My goal here is simple....have my quiet time every single day without fail. Because of all the different types of health, this one is the most important to me.
Mentally, I want to improve my attitude in certain areas, or with certain things in my life. Revert back to the last paragraph to see my solution to that. Being close to God, in His word and through prayer will solve this; I'm positive!
Physically; where to begin. The short version is that I grew up an athlete my whole life. I was always in shape and able to do anything I set my mind to. Oh that willpower (and stupidity in some situations I'm sure haha). I always had jobs that required me to be on my feet, moving around, lifting heavy things, etc. I've noticed my physical health slowly decline over the past few years since I've had a desk job and not been in college where I'm running around playing ultimate frisbee with friends, or whatever else it was we did. I don't enjoy sitting at a desk and always said it is the one job I would never do. Never say never! Since this job doesn't necessarily fit what I enjoy (although I'm very thankful to have it), I've let it get the best of me physically and mentally, and enough is enough! I was flipping through old Facebook photos the other day and came across this pic from just a few years ago when I was still in college:
The picture kind of hit me hard and made me realize I needed to do something. I learned some things from this picture:
1. My hand looks oddly white compared to the rest of my body...weird. Kind of looks like someone else's hand (It's mine though, trust me, I just have man hands) : )
2. I thought I was huge at that time. It's sad that the world makes us feel that way, because looking back I feel like for my height, that is when I was at my healthiest.
3. My unhealthy habits didn't happen over night, and getting back to healthy ones won't either. I don't need to have the mentality of, "well I messed up today, I might as well give up". It's going to take hard work and dedication, and I'm ready for it.
But enough of that...now to the good stuff. After looking at the picture and really thinking about what I needed to do, I started thinking about my body as the dwelling place for the Lord. Holy crap Rene....what are you doing?! I eat junk, I don't exercise as much as I need to, I'm not in the Word every day hanging out with God, my father and best friend. In the Old Testament when the temple was being built, they used only the absolute finest and best of everything to build it. They knew it would be a dwelling place for God. As beautiful and fine crafted as that building was, there is something even more beautiful...us! We were created by our perfect God, and when Christ died on the cross, there was no longer a need for that beautiful temple, because the Lord now dwells within us when we accept Him...what a privilege! This isn't like having some people over to your house and saying, "Ignore the mess, I didn't have time to clean". This is God...living within us. How can I not take care of my body that He has blessed me with and uses as His dwelling place.
So...I am extremely happy to get this blog and my journey going, and am thankful to have you women to share it with! I wanted to give a little (okay, a lot) of back story on why I wanted to start it in the first place. I want this to be a positive and encouraging place where we can share our struggles, recipes, scripture, encouragement, jokes, prayer requests work outs, articles...just anything and everything and then some.
I kept the blog private, so when random people are on google it doesn't pop up, that way no negativitey creeps it's way on here. So if you know someone who wants to join and be able to post on here too, just get me their email address and I will add them as a member. Everyone is able to read it, so feel free to share the link with anyone that you want even if they don't want to post!
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full and well." - Psalm 139: 13-14
-Rene Smith

Hey Rene'! Thanks for starting this blog and opening it up for us all. I really enjoyed this post. I was reading along and agreeing with so much of it! So similar to my situation. I did the same thing the other day too, looked at old pictures on facebook and thought wow that is what I would like to achieve. I love so much about "growing up" and being married. I do let it consume me though and don't take care of myself like I should. I have to admit though I also just get lazy a lot. My main problem has been motivation. I actually quit my job in January because I was having some health issues. Well since this is a private blog I will just be open about it. I was a dog groomer and loved it! I love grooming dogs and loved the customers, well most of them ha. I however had a boss that put work before God, family and friends. She tried to push that on me and would talk down to me if I chose Church over a work conference. It was not a good environment for me spiritually. Then on top of that my vitamin levels plummeted from an allergy of the environment of the dog shop. I am not allergic to dogs but to all the stuff they brought in on their coats that was flying around our shop. It got to the point where my doctor said I wouldn't be able to have a child right now if I tried. I won't bore you all with the details. My husband and I made the decision for me to take at least a year off work to get healthier so we can consider starting a family. I did have a good report from the doctor in April with my levels going up for the first time in a year, but still not at all where they should be. So there is my back story I guess. I have been working at this for quite a while now and though I have made progress and have actually lost about 8lbs and kept it off, I still have a long way to go. I have been trying to change my whole lifestyle not just dieting. Thinking about what I put into my body like you said Rene'. I have taken more time to be alone with God this year than I ever have, but it still isn't as much as I believe I should.
ReplyDeleteI needed something like this to help me get more motivated. Thank you again for starting this!
I am not the best at English and my thoughts are all over the place so I apologize for this post and future post ha
Tara, thank you so much for sharing this!! I know hearing something like that had to be a shock, but praise God that you are on the uphill climb. I know you probably still have a lot of work to do, like you said, but know that myself and all of the other women reading this blog are here for you. I will absolutely be praying for you; for willpower, strength, motivation, and a good doctor's report at your next visit. Maybe once your levels are back up your doctors can figure out what to do so that you can be around the dogs again, since you love it so much! I'm all for doing some walking trails soon before it gets cold outside, so let me know when you are available! I love you and can't wait to see you!
ReplyDelete